Harsh industrial environments require machinery and components that can deliver even in the presence of dust, water, dirt, and rough use. Weatherproof plugs, receptacles, and connectors are a must for reliably supplying power to equipment, maintaining production, and avoiding downtime. Emerson’s AppletonTM PowertiteTM Series Pin and Sleeve Plugs, Connectors, Receptacles and Accessories help plant managers stand up to the challenge with a fast, reliable, and safe solution that installs with simplicity in the field.
In this article we’ll explore the features and applications of the Powertite Series, as well as the differentiating characteristics that separate these products from the competition.
A Closer Look at the Appleton Powertite Series
The Appleton Powertite Series is available in 30, 60, 100, 200, and 400 Amp units. These products are suitable to supply power to all types of heavy-duty electrical equipment, fixed or portable, including welders, pumps, compressors, motor generators, and power transfer switch cabinets. Powertite plugs, receptacles, and connectors feature durable copperfree aluminum construction with an epoxy powder coat finish to ensure long-lasting protection against chemicals, water, dust, and debris. They provide NEMA 4X protection when properly assembled ensuring they excel in wet and corrosive environments. They can be installed with confidence in:
- Pulp and paper mills
- Wastewater treatment plants
- “Ship to shore” applications
- Loading docks and ports
- Land-based drilling rigs
- Cellular relay stations
- Sewage pump and lift stations
Standard safety features include widely spaced contacts recessed within an internal arc snuffing chamber, insulating blocks, positive polarization and a durable neoprene bushing that seals out water and dust. Shell only or shell plus extra pole grounding designs provide safe, “make first, break last” grounding. Powertite Series Plugs, Connectors, and Receptacles meet industry standards while providing safe, reliable, and rugged connectivity.
30, 60, and 100 Amps Powertite plugs, connectors, and receptacles comply with UL 1686. This standard specifies the contact location, voltage rating, electrical and mechanical characteristics for each type of device. Therefore, these Powertite products are interchangeable with other manufacturers.
What Sets Powertite Products Apart?
Emerson solves many of the common issues encountered with plugs, receptacles, and connectors in harsh industrial environments by incorporating features such as:
- Deeply recessing the energized contacts inside the insulating block to reduce the danger of accidental touching and minimize the possibility of exposed arcs.
- Positive polarization – ensuring that plugs can only be used with receptacles and connectors with the same grounding style, number of poles, and Amperage rating.
- Redesigned 200 Amp terminal block – new one-piece design makes wire termination simpler with no need to disassemble components.
- Although available as a factory assembled option, 30, 60, 100, 150, and 200 Amp models can be easily converted to reverse service in the field for applications where a “hot” plug needs to feed into a dead receptacle such as generator
Agilix Solutions is Your Powertite Connection
If you need rugged power connections for vital fixed and portable electrical equipment, the Appleton Powertite Series Plugs, Connectors, and Receptacles by Emerson is tailor made for your application. When you’re ready to learn more or have additional questions, reach out to your Account Manager, or contact your nearest Agilix Solutions branch to put the power of Powertite to work for your business.